Tuesday, August 18, 2015

I love ________

The word "love" is very much overused in these times.  Part of the problem is that the word love can be used in many circumstances such as,

I love chips.
He loves beer.
She loves Tottenham.
I love cats.
He loves Spain.
I love my brother.
He loves his wife.
I love cake. 

In all of these circumstances, the word love is utilized however it is not the same.  A woman may love Tottenham Hotspur and a man may love his wife but that love is not of the same degree (at least I hope not!).

What is even more tragic is that when people throw around the word love (with the self-sacrificial meaning) without any true knowledge of its internal mystery.  So, you will hear this:

"I love my girlfriend!  She makes me really happy.  The sex is great and I honestly love her so darn much!"
 Two weeks later....
 "I hate her!  She is a jerk!  Too needy, was she!  However, do not worry, I met a new girl named Lauren and she is great."

It is when people toy around with the word without truly engaging in the act of love itself.  Now, I am not a fan of the 21st century idea of a man or a woman refraining from the use of the word "love" however they should truly mean it and henceforth understand the responsibility that comes with it.  I suppose a lot of this has to do with the culture we live in.  We are called to love for the very instinct is inside of us however when a man looks at a woman for sex, how can he truly love her?  If he sees his fellow humans in this way, how can he love God?  He cannot do so until he realizes that to love means to seek the best for the beloved.  To labor for her salvation and for her temporal well-being.

Anyone can say they love someone but words are cheap.  Love is shown by actions and rightfully ordering it in the Ways Of God.

18 August 2015
Day IV in the Octave of the Assumption

No comments:

Post a Comment