Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The Crown

"Know you not that they that run in the race, all run indeed, but one recieveth the prize?  So run that you may obtain.  And every one that striveth for the mastery, refraineth himself from all things: and they indeed that they may receive a corruptible crown; be we an incorruptible one. I therefore so run, not as at an uncertainty: I so fight, not as one beating the air: But I chastise my body, and bring it into subjection: lest perhaps, when I have preached to others, I myself should become a castaway."
-I Corinthians 9:24-27.
This beautiful passage is given by Holy Mother Church to Her children every year on Septuagesima Sunday. After the joys of Christmas and Epiphany, we are quickly reminded that we are still on our earthly pilgrimage and still have the arduous task of saving our souls before us.  I have been thinking of this passage for the last couple of days because of the upcoming boxing match that is grabbing all the headlines.  Seeing a few videos on how the boxers have been training for Saturday night's match, it is quite clear to me that both fighters are pushing into a new gear in order to win.  I see their dedication and passion but then I wonder to myself, if these two are working so hard to win a fight and a title belt, why am I so lukewarm on my conquest of self? Why am I so nonchalant about the most important thing, my salvation?

These questions have been biting away at me this week and so I know that I have much to work on.  St. Paul tells us quite clearly and bluntly that we are fighting for an incorruptible crown.  All the crowns and jewels of the world, as glorious as they may be, are already passing.  Can any man take his belongings to heaven or hell?  Can any man win heaven by his worldly treasures?  The answer is, of course, no.

When I look at myself, I have many disordered worldly attractions but I have few spiritual treasures.  All I have are sins. Mortal sins.  Venial sins.  Sins of omissions.  The thoughts of my past life gives me much fear as I think about my Judgment before the Throne of God.



Pray for me, a sinner.



29 April 2015
Feast of St. Peter of Verona
Feast of Saints Odo, Majolus, Odilo and Hugh

No comments:

Post a Comment