Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Pharisee

"Two men went into the Temple to pray: the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.   The Pharisee standing, prayed thus with himself: Oh God, I give Thee thanks that I am not as the rest of men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, as also is this publican.  
 I fast twice in a week: I give tithes of all that I possess.  And the publican, standing afar off, would not so much as lift up his eyes towards heaven; but struck his breast, saying O God, be merciful to me a sinner.  
 I say to you, this man went down into his house justified rather than the other: because every one that exalteth himself, shall be humbled: and he that humbled himself, shall be exalted." 
-The Gospel of St. Luke 18:10-14

This Parable of Our Blessed Lord's is my favorite one because of how it pierces the heart of all who know how it is to be a Pharisee.  How easy is it, huh?  To look at someone else and say:

"Oh wow, look at what she is wearing, it is so ugly." 

"Can you believe that he is marrying her?  What did he see in her?

"These Novus Ordo Catholics are so ignorant."

"I heard her daughter is sleeping with the Johnson's boy."

You know, first of all, if you are making these types of remarks about others, you need to analyze where your life is going.  If you have a problem with gossiping and go to the Sacrament of Penance as often as you can, than keep it up and fight as hard as you can against this most horrible vice.  However, if you do not think that this is a big deal, you really need someone to come up to you and slap you so hard that you get sent to a different zip code.  Think about the dirt that is coming from your mouth.  Think about how much you offend Our Lord with the hatred that you are creating.  You want talk about the sins of human beings, well, how about you remind yourself about your own sins and how you are the greatest of sinners.  Be harsh with yourself but do not judge others.  Gossiping/uncharitable thoughts are such sick illness that I am convinced that it will lead many souls to hell.

Nevertheless, there are few cases in which a person should judge.  For example, a father can (and should) judge his son's friends and tell him that he does not want to hang with a sinful crowd.  You have to use common sense when it comes to judging.  I am not a father yet, however, if the Lord Wills it, I know that many lawful judgments will have to be made in order that the souls of my wife and children are saved.

Want to stop this illness?  Hate the illness.  Hate it with all that you have.  Ask Our Lord for help and convince yourself that you are the worst sinner in the world.

Pray for me, the commander of sinners.

14 April 2015
Feast of St. Justin Martyr 

No comments:

Post a Comment